If you’ve recently attended a quilting show or seen examples of lovely quilts online, you might be inspired to pick up this creative and useful hobby.
Of course, people make quilts to use as blankets, but quilters also make other useful items and even works of decorative art.
At Runaway Quilting, Canada’s online fabric store, we hope to help people at every stage of their quilting adventure. Most people are surprised when we demonstrate how easy it is to get started as a new quilter.
How to Get Started Quilting in Four Easy Steps
Most quilters end up collecting a lot of quilting supplies and fabric. However, you shouldn't get intimidated by the organized and well-stocked craft room of friends who might have enjoyed this hobby for years. You can simply follow these basic steps to begin producing your own beautiful quilts.
Here's a quick list of some basic things you need to acquire.
The exact supplies that you need might depend upon your project. However, this list of basic supplies describes the things that you’re likely to want or need:
- Self-healing cutting mat: These mats aren't absolutely necessary. You can cut on a table or even the floor. However, most experienced quilters end up buying one eventually, so you might as well save yourself some trouble.
- Transparent ruler: This is one tool that you will probably find indispensable, and you may end up purchasing a few of them in different shapes and sizes as you progress. You might start with a ruler that measures 6" / 15cm by 24" / 60cm and is made out of sturdy acrylic.
- Rotary cutter: This tool saves wear on hands, make more accurate cuts, and speeds up the process. You may want to have an old-fashioned fabric shears on hand too, but you'll probably be happy to rely on a rotary cutter most of the time.
- Seam ripper: Even the most seasoned quilters need to redo seams from time to time. You can expect to use one of these. This tool is safer and quicker to use than scissors.
- Thread: You might as well stock up thread too. You'll probably end up using white thread a lot, but you may want to select thread that matches or contrasts with the fabric you intend to use.
- Fabric: Of course, picking out fabric is the best part of quilting of many quilters. You can find a large selection of different colors, textures, and patterns at an online fabric store like ours.
2. A Sewing Machine
Some quilters enjoy sewing by hand just like their great-grandmothers did. In that case, you might just need needles and a quilter's hoop. However, most contemporary quilters rely upon sewing machines.
The good news is that you don't need a machine with dozens of fancy stitches. Most quilting requires a straight stitch, but a zigzag stitch might come in handy sometimes. If you only intend to use the machine for quilts, you might consider a quality machine with basic functions. If you plan to use your sewing machine for other projects, do some more careful shopping.
3. Some Quilting Lessons
You may already have a few friends who have offered to help you learn to quilt or access to a local class. Great!
If not, don’t worry. These days, you don't even need to leave home to master this craft. You can find countless quilting tutorials online and books in your local library. If you're a visual learner, you may prefer to find some excellent quilting tutorial videos on sites like YouTube.
Remember—if there's a step in a pattern that you aren't sure of, you can certainly find a resource to help you learn what to do.
Once you get the hang of quilting, you might begin to develop your own creative patterns. At first, however, you'll be better off by following other people's well-tested instructions.
Of course, you can find premium patterns in an online fabric store like Runaway Quilting.
As a beginner, start with a pattern that's marked as quick and easy. You'll enjoy the sense of satisfaction you get from finishing your first project, and be ready to move on to more complex projects in no time at all.
Get Started With Your Quilting Hobby Today
You can produce beautiful quilts without making a large investment. Even a sewing machine won’t cost too much if you stick with a fairly basic one.
Looking for help? As Canada's online fabric store, we love to help introduce new people to this popular hobby at Runaway Quilting. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, ask us!