Quilt batting gives your quilt its substance, but choosing the right quilt batting can be a daunting task. There are so many options available that it can be unclear what the best batting for quilts is.
Today, we’ll share the basics about quilt batting and how to choose quilt batting.
Loft and Fibre
Two key factors you’ll need to consider when choosing your quilt batting are loft and fibre. The loft is the thickness of your batting. Batting with low loft is thin, whereas high loft batting is thick. While the quilt will be thinner with low loft batting, that means it will be easier to run your stitch, and the quilt will be less bulky. Quilts with high loft offer a thick finish that’s more akin to a comforter.
Fibre is the batting material. The best batting to use for quilts will depend on your unique project. The common batting fibres are:
- Polyester: This durable material is lightweight and inexpensive, but it still provides good insulation. High loft polyester batting creates thicker quilts and allows the quilting to stand out. However, polyester can shift and move through the fabric to the outside of the quilt.
- Wool: Wool is an entirely natural fibre, but it can shrink. Ensure that you buy pre-shrunk wool. It offers excellent stitch-definition that shows off the machine or hand quilting. Wool batting is also very warming. However, it is expensive and may give some people an allergic reaction.
- Cotton: Cotton batting is a light, breathable natural fibre. It’s a very heavyweight batting option that tends to work better for machine quilting because it required close quilting. If it is 100% cotton, it may shrink slightly when washed, but it does resist pilling. You can also use batting what is a cotton blend (80% cotton, 20% polyester) as it offers many similar benefits as cotton for a fraction of the price.
Considerations for Choosing Quilt Batting
- Quality brand
- Intention for the quilt. Wool is great for accentuating the quilting, and it is an excellent option for those entering quilts in a show. However, bamboo or bamboo blend is ideal for a cozy quilt.
- How much batting you need
- Quilting method
- The desired thickness and feel of the quilt
How to Choose Quilt Batting
Head to runawayquilting.com for a wide selection of high-quality quilt batting. We sell a wide array of quilt batting and filler to choose from for an affordable price. For the best batting for quilts, look no further than Runaway Quilting. Head to our online store when choosing your quilt batting.